Two Roads

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Monday, September 27, 2010

Possum Surprise...

  Just call me...Raul! I live in Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia, and yes, I am a possum. Proud to be one too. If you ever want to find my house, just think again! One thing you should know about me? I hate humans! With a passion! Why? 
  1. They throw dirty water on you.
  2. They laugh at you when you defend yourself.
  3. They turn tail and run at the first sign of a glare.
  Don't believe me? I'll prove it. I was hanging out at my cousin's house one night, and just about to go home. So I started down his tree and stopped dead in my tracks. There was a man, a young man, standing 4 feet away, staring at me. In his hand he held a pot full of dirty water, and his eyes were bulging out of his head with surprise. Don't know his name, so we'll call him Mr. A.

A = Annoying.

  Neither one of us moved. We stared. I thought he might be sensible and go away. Nope. He called in a loud voice for his friends to come see me. What am I? Some kind of freak show? I'm a possum...what's so amazing about that?! Well, half a dozen other people gathered around him and crowded together in the doorway. Laughing, giggling, talking about me. Mr. A. stood in front of them all. Pot still in hand. I moved two steps. They all screamed and squealed. 
  Mr. A. decided it wasn't exciting enough. So what did he do? He splashed water on me out of the pot! Annoying much? YES! One of the girls, a sweet funny little thing, told him to stop it. We'll call her Miss C. 

C = Comical. 

  Mr. A. didn't pay any attention to her. He did it again then jumped back towards the door a bit. The girls squealed, as well as Miss C. but she told him to stop again. Said I'd get mad and then what would he do? Why can't all humans be like her?! The two other guys in the group went separate directions: one into the bushes, the other towards the gate. I was quite annoyed and upset by now. So I hissed. It was a warning. Some of them shrieked, Mr. B. (Mr. Bushman) and Mr. G. (Mr. Gateman) both retreated. Mr. A. made a face and threw his arms up, trying to look big and scary I suppose. 

 I was not impressed.
  I was not amused.
  I'd had enough.
  I was angry!

  And so...I hissed again and took a couple steps down the tree. Miss C. thought it was quite funny by now because Mr. A. was starting to freak out. I continued hissing. Mr. A. continued to press against the other people in the door, trying to get inside. Miss C. pushed him out, laughing as she did so. He freaked out more. I laughed with Miss C. inwardly, but outwardly I'd had MORE than enough. I charged!
  And that was the end of it all. Everyone shrieked inside, closed the doors, and I could hear Mr. A. and Miss C. arguing. I crept away, angry, but a little amused. Mr. B. and Mr. G. soon crept back inside the house as well. Humans...they're the bane of my existence! 


  But Miss C., I have to admit, is quite funny!

  This is Raul, signing off!  

(pictures taken on location in Hervey Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment