Two Roads

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Train

I hear the brakes, the wheels screech
Slowly, slowly, I come to a halt.
I look around, I know this place.
My heart beats faster, my breath grows short.
It's love. Not at first sight, but without a doubt.

Where did it come from?
When did it start?
See that street? I know it. I walk it.
See those flowers and that roof?
I'll never forget them, it's not even possible.
See those drains, those stains?
One for water, the other from fire.

Here secrets were told.
Here secrets were made.
Here secrets were kept.

And then, as if in a dream,
I lean out the window of memory
And my open eyes deny the truth.

Faded, but still clear, walls disappear.
Trees shrink, and I see something else...
Beautiful, yet gray, bright and far away
Old laughs and jokes, tears and suffering.

They're all there
They'll always be there.
No matter what might change.

And now I hear the whistle call
The engine starts
The conductor shouts
I jump at the sound of his voice!
Slowly, as the wheels turn
My head creeps back in
My train is off again!

What's next? I know not.
But it was nice to stay, nice to see
It was nice to whisper: I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment